**This post contains affiliate links; using my links helps to support my blogging and my family at no extra cost to you.**
I. Love. Cold Stone. This place was a well-kept secret from my kids for many years. They had no idea it even existed. And then…I don’t know what got into me. I remember it well. I was out with just 2 of my kids, and I thought, what the heck. One of them had just gotten shots, and I always try to do something a little special after they get shots. I take them to lunch or ice cream or something. Cold Stone was just calling my name that day. I didn’t think about the consequences. Food has that effect on me.
So we went. And our lives have never been the same. They came home and immediately, the news of this magical ice cream store spread like wildfire across our entire household. Suddenly, all of them were on their best behavior. Giving me random hugs. Fetching Tyler a cold Diet Coke from the garage fridge. Making their beds. WHAT?! That’s when I knew it was serious.
So for the next birthday in the family, we went. The entire family. Tyler’s kids weren’t so naive. It was no big deal for them. But this was a first for my kids. I’m pretty sure it was better than Christmas morning for them.
And then…we paid. Oh. My. Gosh. The bill for 9 people at Cold Stone. We might as well have put a down payment on a new car. Not really, but it hurt. And the worst part was, they LOVED IT! So of course, on our way home, they were already asking when we could go again. I have no problem telling my kids no. But I also hate feeling like I am ALWAYS saying no.
So…I decided to try a homemade version.
The next time I went to Winco, I bought some vanilla ice cream and every topping that any of them had gotten at Cold Stone (I had most of the toppings already, so it was really only a couple that I had to buy special for the occasion).
That weekend, the kids were THRILLED when I said we would be having MOM STONE that night. I got out a cutting board and two butter knives, and went to work taking orders. We had to set a topping limit of 4, because they all wanted some of everything, and well, that’s just gross. It was a total success!
After such a successful trial run, I decided to invest a whopping $16 total and get two ice cream spades to assist in the mixing process. This was a very solid decision. Butter knives did the job for a trial run, but these ice cream spades are PERFECT! They scoop ice cream really well, and I love using them to mix the toppings in, just like they do at Cold Stone!
I also try to stick our large cutting board in the freezer ahead of time if I plan on doing this. It does help keep the ice cream from melting while you mix it. The first creation is usually good, but by the time I get to the fifth or sixth one, the ice cream is getting more melty, so having a cold cutting board definitely helps (although it isn’t necessary).
The sky is the limit here, really. I have provided a list of toppings below, but really, the possibilities are ENDLESS!
Here is a complete list of toppings that I make available on our Mom Stone nights
- Chocolate Syrup
- Whipped Cream
- Frozen fruit (raspberries are our favorites…I just throw a few in a bowl and defrost them in the microwave real quick)
- Other candy bars smashed up (usually only if one of the kids has candy from something)
- Mini cookie dough balls (I make some of these when we make chocolate chip cookies, and freeze them so we have them available for Mom Stone. I can do this, because, I use EGG POWDER instead of raw eggs. So we can eat as MUCH cookie dough as we want in this house! THAT is a trick I am excited to share with you later!)
- Mini M&Ms (I get these at Winco in the bulk section – see my Ultimate Guide to Summer Movies with Kids post to learn more about Winco bulk candy!)
- Chocolate chips
- Butterfinger Bits (available in the baking aisle, next to the chocolate chips)
- Oreos (if we have them at the time…)
- Chunky cookie butter (I get this at Winco also…but here is a link for them on Amazon, in case you are unfamiliar with this NECESSITY, and want to know what to look for. This is the brand I get, and trust me – you want crunchy for Mom Stone. It’s by the peanut butter in the grocery store)
Since we’ve been doing this for a couple years now, I thought I’d share our absolute favorite combinations.
Crunchy cookie butter, fudge, and raspberries. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!
Some Kid Favorites:
Butterfinger bits, caramel, and fudge
Fudge, mini M&Ms, marshmallows, and sprinkles
Chocolate syrup, Oreos, marshmallows, and sprinkles
- Get the ice cream spades! And get two of them (I chose these because they are a great price, dishwasher safe and very sturdy…I have been 100% happy with them)
- Freeze your cutting board ahead of time if possible
- I recommend just having vanilla ice cream. Getting out all the toppings and doing one order at a time is enough to keep track of. I personally don’t offer flavors. I choose to give tons of options for toppings, so I always stick with plain vanilla as the base.
- Decide if you’re going to have a topping limit BEFORE you start taking orders
- Crunchy Cookie Butter. Just do it.
- This is not only for families. I once did this during a girls’ night. My friends call it Mel Stone. It’s a smashing hit wherever you go!
- Write down orders. Making these does take a little bit of time. So it’s nice to just let the kids all circle what they want on their order form and turn it in to me. I’ve provided a Free Printable with 5 Mom Stone Order Forms. It has 4 order forms to a page, and I just hated wasting extra space, so I made a long skinny menu down at the bottom. I don’t know…I just figured, why not? This is just a preview. Click on the link to get a better printing resolution.
Are You Ready??
- Cutting Board (cold if possible)
- 2 ice cream spades (butter knives work in a pinch)
- One spoon for each of the jars of things to scoop out (fudge, caramel, etc)
- Vanilla ice cream
- All the delicious toppings!
- Bowls and spoons ready to plop the creations into
- This free Mom Stone Order Forms Printable to help you keep track of what everyone wants! (If you have different toppings you would like to add, or some toppings you would like removed, so your kids don’t see them as options, I GET IT! Leave a comment here, or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, and I will make changes for you and send it over to ya!)
You’re all set!
What are you waiting for??? Tonight is a great night for Mom Stone!